Document: Document: LGICT Info Sheet #56:SMS AS AN EPARTICIPATION TOOL FOR MUNCIPALITIES
SMS AS AN EPARTICIPATION TOOL FOR MUNCIPALITIES
10 THINGS WORTH KNOWING
1. The advantages for municipalities of utilizing SMSs for two-way communication are that it offers a direct channel of communication with citizens/
stakeholders, which enables municipalities to potentially have a better understanding of their residents’ needs and concerns and it can help
promote public trust and confidence in councillors and the municipality. For citizens and other users of the system, the direct communication with
the municipality allows for potentially greater participation and oversight in local governance processes, and with that, potentially improved service
2. Over 90% of South African households have access to a cell phone. That is higher then the percentage of TV-sets or running water!
3. eParticipation based on SMS can enable municipalities (councillors/administration) to communicate with and receive feedback directly and costeffectively
from residents and stakeholder groups.
4. For example, municipalities can use the SMS communication system for sending messages to residents/stakeholders on a broad range of topics,
including: contact details for ward councillors, notices of opportunities to participate (e.g. ward/ward committee/IDP/budget meetings, izimbizo
etc.), satisfaction surveys, and service delivery notices.
5. Proper and timely information about service delivery issues sent to residents can reduce the anger and tension and results in fewer and/or less
.... (for more check out our newest Fact Sheet)